Dear Parents and Guardians,
In an effort to reduce the number of dress code violations and to help inform summer shoppers I am posting a copy of the Jonesville High School Dress Code. This will also help parents and students know and understand the rules and what to expect in the upcoming school year. Last year we tried allowing leggings and other tight fitting pants if student wore long shirts over them. This was difficult to enforce, so to make this rule more uniform and easier to enforce, shirts covering up these types of tight pants must hang 2 inches past the finger tips when arms are put down by the students’ side. Students are not to wear tank tops of any kind including dresses or dress shirts that are tank top style. Skirts, dresses and shorts must be at least as 2 inches past the fingertips when arms are put down by the students’ side without having to stretch or tug at their outfit. Please read over the dress code and shop accordingly. Our goal with the dress code is to teach our students how to dress appropriately in a public setting and we feel that it is important that students learn to dress for success. Thanks and have a great summer!!!
• Student attire should not be gory or gross.
• Clothing that encourages hate or puts down another group is not allowed.
• No hats, headgear, chains, or sunglasses.
• None of the following tops may be worn: Open-sided, bare backed, bare midriff, transparent, spandex, underwear-bra tops, tank tops, strapless tops.
• Shirts must be open or hang no lower than one hand width from the base of the neck.
• No shirts of the following messages: profanity, offensive messages, suggestive messages, suggestive pictures, messages promoting or advertising beer, cigarettes or drugs. No T-shirts of the following or similar brands: Big Johnson, Coed Naked, Hooters, Red Dog, or Butt Naked.
• Blouses, shirts, and tops must thoroughly cover the midriff during normal and routine wearing for class activities at JHS.
• No jewelry advertising or depicting drugs or drug symbols, beer labels or logos, or cigarettes.
• No short skirts, dresses or shorts. All skirts, dresses and shorts must be at least as 2 inches past the fingertips when arms are put down by the side. The holes in pants must also only be below two inches past the fingertips.
• No shorts of spandex, underwear type, or tight fitting sportswear.
• Slacks made of spandex or other tight fitting material (included but not limited to leggings, tights, running pants or yoga pants) must be covered with appropriate shorts, skirts or shirts that are at least two inches past the fingertips when arms are put down by the side.
• Shorts and slacks must be worn around waist and completely cover undergarments.
• No clothing associated with a gang, either by color, length, or insignia is allowed.
• No fishnets.
• Shoes or sandals must be worn at all times.
• No spiked collars or bracelets are to be worn or kept at JHS. Similar items will be treated in the same fashion.
• For school parties, dances, and extracurricular evening activities the dress code is still applicable for all male and female students. For formal affairs such as the Prom the student must dress properly.
• The administration will make the final determination on the acceptability of clothing or appearance.
Jonesville High School Principal